How to find Ionization potential of Mercury in Physics Lab
Ionization Potential of Mercury
The ionization potential of mercury is discussed with an experimental apparatus. How to find out the ionization potential of mercury. The electrons from the heated surface of cathode emit and reach up to the plate which is at the higher potential, so all the electrons are attracted by the plate….but due to space charge, all the emitted electrons cannot reach up to the plate…
Procedure Mercury Ionization
now we increase the potential of the plate as a result electron get accelerated and ionize the mercury vapor. The mercury ion move towards the cathode and neutral the space charge….also the electrons release from ionization of mercury reach up to the plate in addition to the electrons emitted from the cathode and as a result current increase suddenly. this is the point of ionization potential. One can find out it by plotting the graph in between the plate current and applied voltage.
For any question please write in comment box.
Join the Courses
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
- Shiny ABHAS MITRA- 1’st Physicist Claim Black Holes Alternative 10/08/2019
- Late Prof. Walter Greiner 10/08/2019
- Yagnaswami Sundara Rajan (Y. S. Rajan) Honorary Distinguished Professor 10/08/2019
- Adequate 3 Strategies in the Class 09/08/2019
- Amazing Experiment 18-Viva Questions of Newton’s Rings 08/08/2019